News 3 Now/Channel3000.com, Southern Wisconsin’s number one digital source for news, is looking an Assignment Editor to help guide daily news coverage. This person will work collaboratively with our News and Digital teams to maintain a comprehensive look at stories and events in our community. We’re looking for someone who thrives on deadline, who can find, create and curate unique and meaningful stories, and provide an organized approach to daily coverage.
News 3 Now produces more than 40 hours of television news a week, and we embrace coverage through our app, social, website, and streaming video channels resulting in a digital stronghold position in the market. The right candidate will also innovate on digital and social channels. We expect our coverage to meet consumers where they are and connect with them in convenient ways.
You could do all of this while working for a family-owned company in one of America’s most livable cities. Madison is consistently ranked as one of the best places to raise a family, one of the best college sports towns, and one of the best places to live, period.
Since 1890, Morgan Murphy Media has been committed to quality journalism. We’ve been honored to win five national Edward R. Murrow Awards from the RTDNA in the past five years, including the top prize for overall excellence in 2016. We are searching for someone that also has an expectation of excellence.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee the assignment desk, our touchpoint for all content.
- Create a daily content sheet, identifying brand-centric content with our viewer’s needs in mind.
- Maintain a future content calendar, tracking court cases, events, meetings and other opportunities for newsgathering.
- Direct some content gathering, specific to our viewer’s needs and our content strategy.
- Assist in planning coverage of special events.
- Assist in content gathering, especially during breaking news.
- Work fast to win breaking news by monitoring scanners and social platforms, making beat calls, contacting sources and dispatching crews quickly and efficiently.
- Create relevant content, including web, mobile and social posts that create a deep and rich journalism experience for our audience.
- Engage with a number of analytics and audience tools to help us listen to and understand our audience in real time to optimize digital audience growth and capitalize on news gathering opportunities.
- Be a problem-solver when it comes to logistical and technical issues, production and programming.
What you’ll bring:
- BA/BS in journalism or related field with experience in a newsroom preferred
- A strong knowledge of journalistic news standards and industry trends
- The ability to thrive under deadlines while efficiently producing and sharing content.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships with staff, the public, and third party content providers.
- An open mind, attention to detail and a passion for getting the facts right
- Strong experience writing for print using AP style.
- Strong experience with content management systems, and social media platforms
- Familiarity with image editing software such as Photoshop and Canva.
What News 3 Now/WISC-TV offers:
- We’re a dynamic and progressive family-owned business that values our employees, our culture and our community
- Medical, dental, vision, prescription, life, and long-term disability insurance, EAP, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off (vacation, sick, personal, holidays)
We are an equal opportunity employer
Posted on 2021-09-11 07:52:53