News 3 Now/WISC-TV has a rare opening for a News Director to lead our team at the family-owned flagship of Morgan Murphy Media in one of America’s best cities. One of the best places to raise a family. One of the best college sports towns. One of the best places to live, period.
There have been four news directors at this station in the past 42 years so this opportunity doesn’t come along very often. We are looking for someone to break the mold and connect with local audiences in a new way. We produce 40 hours of television news a week and embrace coverage through our app, social, web site and streaming video channels resulting in a digital leadership position in the market. The right candidate will have a proven track record of audience growth and understand how to build emerging platforms.
We are committed to quality journalism. We’ve been honored to win five national Edward R. Murrow Awards from the RTDNA in the past four years, including the top prize for overall excellence in 2016. We are searching for someone that has an expectation of excellence.
In this role, you’ll be asked to set and execute a strategy for audience growth with a content editorial team. You’ll lead efforts to build and retain a top-notch staff. You’ll need to be aggressive moving resources to meet the demand of a shifting local news marketplace. You’ll be asked to make critical editorial decisions with a deep understanding of journalism ethics. You’ll be asked to inspire.
Our company has been in the journalism business since 1890. We are searching for someone who knows what it means to serve a community.
What you’ll do:
- Work with the station and corporate management to set content and brand strategy with a focus on audience growth
- Inspire a team of journalists and production staff to meet a high standard of excellence in a highly competitive marketplace
- Embrace local news delivery through emerging platforms
- Lead recruitment and retention efforts for top-notch news and operations staff
- Analyze audience data and be willing to shift resources to meet customer demands
- Develop strategies to improve the communities we serve through journalism and other outreach activities
What you’ll bring:
- Minimum 7 years of experience in journalism, with previous management experience of increasing responsibility
- Four-year degree in journalism, communications or equivalent field required
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with an emphasis on collaboration, setting expectations, accountability, managing conflict, decision-making, coaching, and delegation.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills
- Strong command of journalism ethics and the tenets of professional journalism
- Working knowledge of newsroom software, social media, camera equipment, and editing systems
What News 3 Now/WISC-TV offers:
- We’re a dynamic and progressive family-owned business that values our employees, our culture and our community
- Medical, dental, vision, prescription, life, and long-term disability insurance, EAP, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off (vacation, sick, personal, holidays)
Posted on 2019-10-24 17:05:09