News 8 Now/WKBT-TV has a rare opening for a News Director to lead our team in one of Wisconsin’s best cities to live in. La Crosse is a university town, a regional health care center and city with a rich history. La Crosse is home to three institutions of higher learning. La Crosse is home to top rated Gundersen Health System as well as having a Mayo Clinic Health System hospital and regional clinics, with One of America's 10 Best Small Cities to Live In, One of the 16 Best Places to Live in the US, US News and World Report - UWL tops among UW System
WKBT has not had a news director opening for nearly thirty years. We are looking for someone to break the mold and connect with local audiences in a new way. We produce 20+ hours of television news a week and embrace coverage through our app, social, web site and streaming video channels resulting in a digital leadership position in the market. The right candidate will have a proven track record of audience growth and will understand how to build emerging platforms.
We are committed to quality journalism. We are proud of being honored the Small Market Television Station of the Year from the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association eight times. We have also won many news category recognitions from the WBA and MBJA. We are searching for someone that has an expectation of excellence.
In this role, you’ll be asked to set and execute a strategy for audience growth with a content editorial team. You’ll lead efforts to build and retain a top-notch staff. You’ll need to be aggressive moving resources to meet the demand of a shifting local news marketplace. You’ll be asked to make critical editorial decisions with a deep understanding of journalism ethics. You’ll be asked to inspire.
Our company has been in the journalism business since 1890. We are searching for someone who knows what it means to serve a community.
What you’ll do:
- Work with station and corporate management to set content and brand strategy with a focus on audience growth
- Inspire a team of journalists and production staff to meet a high standard of excellence in a highly competitive marketplace
- Embrace local news delivery through emerging platforms
- Lead recruitment and retention efforts for top-notch news and operations staff
- Analyze audience data and be willing to shift resources to meet customer demands
- Develop strategies to improve the communities we serve through journalism and other outreach activities
What you’ll bring:
- Minimum 7 years of experience in journalism, with previous management/executive producer experience of increasing responsibility
- Four-year degree in journalism, communications or equivalent field required
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with an emphasis on collaboration, setting expectations, accountability, managing conflict, decision-making, coaching and delegation
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills
- Strong command of journalism ethics and the tenets of professional journalism
- Working knowledge of newsroom software, social media, camera equipment, and editing systems
What News 8 Now/WKBT-TV offers:
- We’re a dynamic and progressive family-owned business that values our employees, our culture and our community
- Medical, dental, vision, prescription, life, and long-term disability insurance, EAP, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off (vacation, sick, holidays)
Apply on-line and include your resume and link.
No phone calls please.
WKBT is an equal opportunity employer.
Posted on 2021-02-22 11:33:16